Becoming - The Journey of God's Princess

This blog was created for women on the journey of becoming what God created them to be. It is meant to be an encouragement to those who visit. It is filled with the thoughts pondered by a Pastor's wife who is captivated by the love of God and rests daily in His infinate grace. It is filled with devotionals, short stories, poetry and other creative writing and thoughts about my journey to God.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Out of the mouths of children....

When my children open their mouth I never know what will come spilling out - but what ever it is that comes out it is honest, it is the thought on their mind, it is without reservation or social restraint. Sometimes I brace myself and sometimes I am caught off guard. At times the most magnificent truths of who God is spill out of those tiny mouths straight from a heart that just takes God for who he truly is.

However, this was not the case yesterday.

I went with my four children to pick out new glasses for y new prescription. There was not a large selection, and being distracted by four darting children picking up frames in four different directions. It also doesn't help that I am legally blind without my glasses and already at an unfair advantage. I mean when they say, "look in the mirror and tell me what you think", I am standing there wondering if they could please remove the obstacle of the shelf so that I can get nose to nose with the mirror so I might I actually SEE my reflection in the mirror.

So needless to say, I fell on the mercy of the person helping me. I was truly hoping that her opinion would be good and that I would walk out with a new pair of classy, stylish, young looking glasses. I don't think she fully appreciated the disadvantage I truly was at - or else she got some kind of enjoyment out of making me look like a mousy woman.

At home a put my new glasses on and went to look in the mirror - different was all I could think. I was wishing that the new prescription didn't make the image so crisp and clear.

I stepped out and my oldest son - who loves me dearly and tells me often I am beautiful - greeted me with a comment I was not prepared for.

"Mom, you look like that girl - you know mom the one with the short brown hair and turtle-neck - you know mom, what is her name."

I'm thinking "What girl!"

"You know mom, Scooby-Doo's friend - that one that wears the skirt and orange shirt, that finds all the clues - AHHHHH!! mom, what's her name?! - - - Oh, I know!
Velma - you look just like Velma!"

Great! My life's aspiration come true! I now look like Velma! Not Daphne, VELMA!

Later when Brent came home Chase wanted him and I to model our new glasses.

His reaction shows you what becoming an adult means - we are forever held in restraint by social protocol.

Raised eyebrow, silent as the socially appropriate reaction is formed, then, "They're different, a different style....I mean they're nice - (then hesitantly) So, do you like them?"

Have to laugh - thank you God for these moments of time!!! At least some humor was brought in.

Thank you God for family!

1 comment:

  1. Did you have these Wednesday? I'm sure you are a cute Velma, hey she was the smart one so that's a plus right?
    ~marni

    ReplyDelete