Becoming - The Journey of God's Princess

This blog was created for women on the journey of becoming what God created them to be. It is meant to be an encouragement to those who visit. It is filled with the thoughts pondered by a Pastor's wife who is captivated by the love of God and rests daily in His infinate grace. It is filled with devotionals, short stories, poetry and other creative writing and thoughts about my journey to God.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Get Rid of the Junk

As you read this scripture ask God to open your heart to His word and to make you able to receive that which he has for you - it may be a little hard to swallow.


Psalm 119:37-40 Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in your ways (or give me life in your word NLT). Establish your word to your servant, who is devoted to fearing you. Turn away my reproach which I dread, For your judgments are good. Behold, I long for Your laws, Revive me in your righteousness. (NKJV)

I began this morning with my bible studies and this verse struck me. "Turn my eyes from look at worthless things and give me LIFE in YOUR WORD".

How many "worthless things", I began to wonder, have I let slip into my life and distract me from my mission - that ordained by God task at hand - the work I am called to?

How many seemingly small things distract me from His precepts or laws and keep me focused on a task that is menial and has no eternal value. And if these things were distracting me what was my cost in this world?

So, as God does, he began to show me areas of worthlessness that creep into our lives, some of these I struggle with, some you may struggle with...this list is general and by no means complete.

(1) Your job and the acquisition of worldly things.
Have you allowed your job to consume most of your time?
Is it to provide and be satisfied or has it become more, do you have to work
more hours or longer hours to pay for all your stuff?

(Did you fall into the trap of instant gratification, this is so easy to do. Have you justified it because the kids need new clothes, we have to have this vehicle, a bigger house would be nice, that game system or newest electronic would make life easier, etc.)

(2) The pursuit of too many activities.
This can be all things, church related, school related, work related, hobbies, sports, etc. Anything that consumes your time to spend with the Lord and make more worthwhile the relationships in your life.
Is there anything you can cut out?

(Have you justified it as my children need this activity to be well-rounded it will develop character, I don't want my children left out. Or I need this time alone. Or I know I'm really busy but it's all church stuff it's all for the Lord - Do not get me wrong or get the wrong idea - I am all for church activities that cause us to grow in the Lord. However, if these activities are pressing out personal time with the Lord they become empty. They are only fulfilling and worthwhile when God is involved and leading you. They will only bless you with God involved - otherwise they are empty acts.)

(3) Housework. I know, right, but for some of us having things in order and always caught up give us a since of accomplishment, and they are often times a way to control our environment.

Does the drive to perfection in your environment crowd out time for God and those you love?

(will you fold the laundry, sweep the floor, vacuum, etc. in order to keep it all nice when the Holy Spirit is calling for alone time, will you do these things even if you know you need to invest in relationships of those in your family and justify it that there will be time later)

(4) Television.

Do you set aside time to watch your favorite television show no matter what?
even if it means no study for the Lord?

(Do you justify it as a time to relax....)

(5) The computer/cellphone/facebook, etc.

Do these things eat up large chunks of your times, distracting you from those around you and your time with the Lord?

Worthless things - ANYTHING that distracts us from God and from those things with kingdom and eternal significance. Remember ladies the enemy comes to seek, steal, and destroy. He wants your time and relationship with God first and foremost, once he distract you from this all the other areas are left wide open. He then goes for the marriage relationship between husband and wife: breaking down communication, causing conflict and misunderstanding, bringing in diverse temptations. Then are the internal relationships. He wants mothers to neglect personal time with their children by substituting it with activities and busyness so there is no real personal, devoted time - Do you really know your child's heart? When is the last time they invited you into their world? When was the last time you stopped what you were doing just to look them in the eye and really hear from your heart what they were saying to you - invested in them personally?

Worthless things - time eaters - the distractions and deceptions of the world/the enemy.

Worthless things - things that appear valuable, necessary or require justification; while devaluing those things of highest importance.

O, Lord, today bring me to my knees. Cause me to see you. This life that is common I lay on your alter. Show me the worthless things I have allowed to creep into my life. Lord, I acknowledge that I am prone to wonder, that I am easily distracted. Lord, I need your strenght. Show me these worthless things and help me to control them, to leave them behind - to place you and the things of eternal significance in front. Thank you Lord for your help. - Amen

Ladies, God has intended great things in each of our lives. I pray that the "worthless" things don't pile up, turning our focus from that which is truly important. Redeem the time! Let's clean house today - pack up those worthless things! Let's put God first, then our jobs, our acquisitions, our activities/hobbies, will fall into proper perspective no longer having bloated importance.

Redeem the time!

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to print this out and save it for when "busyness" sneaks up again.
    ~Marni

    ReplyDelete